|War of Settlement
The ‘War of Settlement’ is an ongoing conflict between the Grand Duchy of Balian, their Norlandic allies, and the Nashifah Confederacy, the original inhabitants of the Balian region. The war has witnessed several small skirmishes, some within the Capital of Balian, Atrus. The primary cause is the settlement of the city itself; the Nashifah, while a nomadic people, lay claim to the territory by ancestral right - stolen, when the Imperial remnants forced them out and constructed Atrus, C. 1869. Talks were briefly held in St Lothar's square but broke down quickly as emotions ran awry on both sides, resulting in an impromptu siege of the Ducal Courtyard. While they were forced from the city, the Nashifah managed to wound several dozen citizens, soldiers, and the Duke himself. A warning was given to the inhabitants of Balian by the young Bashar (Prince) Aradah - that the tents of his people would be put out, and a war waged.
Skirmishes, Battles, and Sieges
- 75 S.A. - Battle of the White Lily Tavern - Decisive Balian Victory
- 76 S.A. - Siege of the Ducal Courtyard - Decisive Balian Victory
- 75th year of the Second Age:
- Outside of the White Lily tavern thirty Chouhada (‘Natives’) gather to enter Balian.
- The Grand Duke orders them to leave at once as he sees hostile intentions brewing, this sparks the Battle of the White Lily Tavern.
- Battle of the White Lily Tavern draws 2,700 Balians to arms to fight the Nashifah numbering thirty-five with all but two Nashifahs being slain; it is a decisive Balian victory. Shortly thereafter the Nashifahs commit suicide in their cells rather than be subject to execution.
- 76th year of the Second Age:
- The Southern Nashifahs regroup outside of Balian and slowly march in over the course of the day eventually during the night seizing the NGS and constructing an impressive wooden wall.
- After the Nashifahs seize the NGS and Ducal Library during the night, the Grand Duke looks over the gardens and issues a call to arms alerting his Norlandic Allies to come to Balians aid. This results in the Siege of the Ducal Courtyard. Balian and Norland rally 3,500 men while the Nashifahs inside had 1,500 men at hand. The Siege lasts for several hours when finally Sir Jarad Munnel lights the wall on fire resulting in a massive push by the Balians which ends the battle in a decisive victory. Following the battle, the Nashifah Bashar is captured and briefly put on trial before being thrown in jail and his guards executed.