The Staunton Uprising, or alternatively the Second Atlas Coalition War (Dwarven: Taveir Kazak Umronor), is a conflict spanning much of Southern Atlas, between the Anti-Renatus Alliance and the Crown of Renatus-Marna and their allies.
The Staunton Uprising can be traced back to the resentful House of Burgundar, formerly a prominent vassal of the Crown of Renatus-Marna. King Aurelius I of Renatus-Marna had permitted the Margrave of Styria, Mariusz Horen to engage in an inter-vassal war with the Margravate of Ostmark, the borderlands ruled by the House of Burgundar. Mariusz was spurred on by what he believed to a slight against the House of Horen and the Renatian Codes of Honor. Mariusz also wished to continue his fathers feud against Eimar var Burgundar, who supposedly refused single combat after slighting his father Antonius Horen. In the brief conflict, Margrave Eimar was seized and brought before the Royal Court, and was promptly executed for his transgressions. For some time, it was believed that Eimar's death would bring in new blood, in which a new Burgundar would ascend and the rift between the Ostmark and the Crown be mended.
However, these hopes were crushed when the now widowed Aldyth var Burgundar, wife to the late Margrave, relinquished her territories to the hands of Tobias II Staunton, who had proclaimed himself King of Courland before the disgruntled Ostmarkian nobility and Courlandic remnants. This action would offend the council, and king of the Crown of Renatus-Marna as they had seen much of its southern border territories usurped from under them. The Crown of Renatus-Marna would then declare war upon Courland, but would first set up organizing a diplomatic meeting on the neutral grounds of Curon Bridge. However, King Tobias refused to come to terms and instead mustered his forces in his new seat of White Peak.
War would be had. Whereas King Tobias's force consisted of local levies, the Renatian army was organized as a permanent fighting force. Thus, they were quickly amassed on the border with the Ostmark. The Crown would launch several incursions into their former territory, being reinforced by allied forces pouring in from the East and the North. Though with the Crown mustering its allies King Tobias would also begin making alliances across the realm with the factions who sought to reach independence, and a world of peace or those who were already in conflict with Renatus.
- 1668 - Siege of Whitepeak - Renatian Victory
- 1669 - Siege of Cyrilsburg - Renatian Victory
- 1669 - Siege of Ashwood - Renatian Victory
- The House of Burgundar transfers their lands to the House of Staunton under Tobias II. Tobias proclaims himself King of Courland before the Ostmarkian and Courlandic nobility. Afterward, the newly refounded Kingdom of Courland allies itself with the Duchy of Riviä.
- The Crown of Renatus-Marna refuses to let this slight go unanswered. In response, the Crown declares war upon the Kingdom of Courland and masses troops along the borderlands.
- The Reiver Highwaymen vassalize beneath the Kingdom of Courland, swearing fealty to King Tobias II.
- The Anti-Renatus Alliance (ARA), is formed comprising of the Kingdom of Courland, the Reiver Highwaymen and the Confederation of Hammers.
- Renatus call their own allies to war, forming an alliance with the Dominion of Malin, the War Nation of Krugmar, the Chieftaincy of Ghanyah and ensuring long-term their allies in the Kingdom of Santegia persist with their support. Many of the members of this alliance were member states of the former Northern Atlas Alliance. For assurance, King Aurelius I of Renatus-Marna signs a contract with the Black Reiter Company, having bore witness to their effectiveness during the campaigns of the Third Crusade.
- Courland allies itself with the Duchy of Nevaria, and the Horde of Thagurz’Grizh.
- Multiple skirmishes occur between Renatus and her allies and the A.R.A. Renatus secures several decisive victories against A.R.A forces, outnumbered against Courlandic men. Renatian morale and support for the war rise.
- The coronation of King Franz I of Haense is stormed by a band of Reiter mercenaries and Renatian allies. Amidst the chaos, they slipped away with the King, intent on bringing him to the sovereign of Renatus-Marna for payment. Peace talks began among the court. However, King Aurelius only would accept unconditional surrender, to which Franz I disagreed. Franz was killed shortly afterwards. When news of this reached the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska, they began talks with the Anti-Renatus Alliance.
- Renatus and her allies surround the City of White Peak, beginning a five-month siege of the Courlandic capital, lead by Charles Horen and Siegemaster Tiberius Horen. After intense fighting and loss on both sides, the defenders finally succumb to the overwhelming force of the offensive onslaught. The slaughter was so immense, that many Renatuian soldiers coined it the Battle at Redpeak.
- After the disastrous defeat at the Siege of Whitepeak, the Confederation of Hammers withdraws from the Anti-Renatus Alliance. and declares neutrality.
- The Duchy of Riviä ends their alliance a few days after the siege, making a pact with the Crown of Renatus-Marna promising to help them in the war effort against the Kingdom of Courland.
- In short succession, the Staunton strongholds of Cyrilsburg and their allies in Ashwood are stormed and seized. As a result, the Staunton loyalists are driven underground, thusly ending the war.
- Sigmar Lothar Barbanov ascends to the throne of the Kingdom of Haense. He promptly sets out to begin peace negotiations with the Crown of Renatus-Marna. On the 1st of the Sun's Smile, 1669, the two parties signed an official ceasefire thus bringing the war to a close.