House of Novellen
The House of Novellen originated from the marriage in 1753 of Joseph I, Duke of Helena and Anne Augusta of Oren, later successively Holy Orenian Empress. Its members are the legitimate surviving line of the House of Helane, itself being a cadet branch of the now-dissolved House of Horen, inheriting their patrimonial possessions and vocation to the Empire from the female descendants of the House of Helane and the male line of the House of Sarkozic.
The House of Novellen takes its name from both the Novellen Palace, the Imperial Palace in the city of Helena, and the original County of Novellen, a Comital title of the 1500s held by Duke Hughes Sarkozic, located within the Duchy of Adria. The House of Novellen gained dynastic dominance during the late 18th century, with Hughes Sarkozic's 6x great-nephew, Joseph Sarkozic becoming Holy Orenian Emperor.
1796 - Present
The Urguani-Orenian War
See also: Urguani-Orenian War
- After tensions rise between the Holy Orenian Empire and the Grand Kingdom of Urguan, Philip II levies a declaration of war upon the Grand Kingdom. The Grand Kingdom follows suit, issuing its own declaration.
- Under the command of Philip II and the oversight of Princess Imperial, Josephine Augusta, the Orenian capital city of Providence is reconstructed. It is officially rebranded as New Providence, although, many foreign take to calling it, St. James.
The Aster Revolution
See also: Aster Revolution
- A ship known as Princess Elizabeth is spotted approaching Almaris, which is seen to be greeted by Olivier I and his retinue. Aboard, Prince Philip Amadeus and his wife, Anastasia vas Ruthern are swiftly hidden in San Luciano under disguise with their youngest children Prince Frederick and Princess Anna.
- Philip Amadeus and Anastasia meet with a series of Savoyard councilors and Orenian elites to begin gaining support for their claim to the Imperial throne.
- Princess Anastasia rides on horseback in the middle of the night and sneaks into the city of Providence in a disguise. This later becomes known as Operation Augustine, where she and her daughter, Princess Catherine reunite and rescue Prince Peter, Prince James, and Princess Victoria. All the children flee to San Luciano.
- News circulates of the death of Philip Aurelian Novellen, the heir-apparent to the Empire. The cause of his death is disputed. Official accounts claim that he suffered a heart attack, but it is alleged by others that he was murdered by his mistress, Mary Casimira of Carrington, on the orders of Princess Anastasia.
- Philip Amadeus publishes the Mandate of Heaven in which he proclaims himself Holy Orenian Emperor and demands that Philip II surrenders the Imperial throne.
- Rumors spiral that Philip II had disappeared from the newly-constructed New Providence. He is presumed dead, with a disputed cause of death. It is widely claimed he was pushed into the city’s canal by Olivier de Savoie.
- Following the rumors of Philip II's death, Philip Amadeus assembles an army consisting of Orenians, Savoyards, and mercenaries. He begins marching towards the Imperial capital.
- While attempting the evade Philip Amadeus's army, the eldest daughter of Philip II, Princess Josephine Augusta dies in a carriage accident. Her body is never found.
- With a retinue of ten-thousand men, Philip Amadeus marches into an uncontested New Providence where he claims the Imperial throne. In a subsequent session of court, all peers present swear fealty to him.
- Hours after taking the city, an unguarded High Pontiff Everard VI arrives in New Providence to coronate Philip Amadeus. He is dubbed Philip III.
The Urguani-Orenian War (Cont.)
- After seizing the throne, Philp III enters negotiations with the Grand Kingdom of Urguan. However, after the dwarves demand that Sir Duncan Vuiller is extradited to Urguan, Philip III refuses and the war continues.
- In 1862, the eldest daughter of Philip III and Princess Imperial, Catherine Anastasia is granted the titular Duchy of Westmarch by her father during her matrimonial celebrations.
The Brothers' War
See also: Brothers' War
- Emperor Philip III and his wife Empress Anastasia I perish and a succession crisis begins. Prince Frederick Novellen declares himself King of Oren and declares that the Holy Orenian Empire is dissolved. His older brother, Peter Augustus Novellen, declares himself Emperor of Oren, and in doing so thus begins the Brothers' War.
- Peter Augustus marries Lucia d’Azor, the daughter of the Duke of Azor in a ceremony held in Vuillermoz. During the wedding, a dragon flies overhead. Many of Peter's supporters during the war see this as a gift from God for the groom.
- Meanwhile in Providence, Frederick Charles weds Vivienne de Savoie in the Basilica of the Argentate Star. His wedding is attended by slightly over 10,000 spectators.
- While hosting court in the Duchy of Reutov, Peter Augustus is captured by Royalist forces and escorted to New Providence to stand trial. A large host of Imperialist forces quickly amass at Fort Linnord to rescue Peter. Approximately, 7,600~ Imperialists are rallied and marched to Providence to engage the Royalist host, totaling around 9,500~. This begins the Battle for New Providence which ultimately ends in a Royalist victory.
- Following the Battle for New Providence, Peter Augustus is escorted into Aster Hall before Frederick Charles where he is executed. Several other Imperialist supporters, including Peter's wife, Lucia, are executed alongside him.
Kingdom of Oren & Grand Duchy of Balian
- Fearing further hostilities for their part in the Brothers' War, many former Imperialists rally behind Prince John Casimir Novellen and flee to the southern landmass of Almaris. Upon scouting the eastern edges of the landmass, John constructs a campsite to house his supporters.
- Frederick Charles is officially recognized as King of Oren by several foreign powers, including the Kingdom of Haense, Principality of Celia’nor, and Principality of Elvenesse.
- The fourth-born child of Philip III and Anastasia I, Princess Victoria Augusta Novellen is granted the titular County of Carolustadt by her brother, Frederick.
- John Casimir Novellen establishes the Grand Duchy of Balian at the location of the Imperialist campsite. There he builds his capital city of Atrus and dubs himself John I. His claim is recognized by the Kingdom of Norland, The Jade State of Yong Ping, the Kingdom of Haense, and the Principality of Celia’nor.
- After several anti-Orenian riots in New Providence by the Church of Derfey, the city is destroyed. In the following months, it is rebuilt into the City of Vienne by Frederick I.
- In a public speech and subsequent proclamation entitled, Edict of Vienne, Frederick I strips House d'Arkent of its titles and adds the Duchy of Sunholdt to his own collection.
- In 1879, Frederick I and John I sign a nonaggression pact between their two nations. However, tensions soon begin to boil between the two factions as a result of several diplomatic disagreements regarding the Azdrazi and the Almaris Coalition War
Patriarchs of Novellen
House Novellen follows an agnatic-cognatic primogeniture succession system, meaning that the eldest son of the family head takes over upon their death unless there are no eligible males - in which case a female may inherit. In addition, the Patriarch of House Novellen has always been held in conjunction with the throne of Oren.
|Death||Coat of Arms||Succession Right|
| Anne I
14th of Sun’s Smile, 1784 - 20th of Snow's Maiden, 1800.
| 12th of Malin's Welcome, 1735
| Joseph II, Holy Orenian Emperor
| 20th of Snow's Maiden, 1800
| Joseph I
14th of Sun’s Smile, 1784 - 12th of Sun's Smile 1814
| 1st of Malin's Welcome 1731
| Anne I, Holy Orenian Empress
| 12th of Sun's Smile 1814
| John I
10th of Grand Harvest 1815 - 12th of Owyn's Flame, 1837
| Wilhelmina of Cathalon (Divorced)
| 12th of Owyn's Flame, 1837
|Firstborn son of Empress Anne I and Emperor Joseph II|
| Philip II
12th of Owyn's Flame, 1837 - 16th of Tobias' Bounty, 1849
| Judith Alice of Rochefort (d. 1815)
|Living, Age: 85||Brother of John VIII and second-born son of Anne I and Joseph II|
| Philip III
16th of Tobias' Bounty, 1849 - 1st of Malin's Welcome, 1868
| 15th of Horen's Calling, 1815
| Anastasia I, Holy Orenian Empress
| 1st of Malin's Welcome, 1868
|Grandson of Philip II. Installed as Patriarch after the Aster Revolution.|
| Frederick I
1st of Malin's Welcome, 1868 - 7th of Tobias's Bounty, 1883.
| 15th of Horen's Calling, 1847
Aster Hall, Providence
| Vivienne of Savoy
| 8th of Horen's Calling, 1883
|Son of Philip III. Installed as Patriarch after the Brothers' War.|
| John I
4th of Tobias's Bounty, 1884 - Present.
| 27th of Horen's Calling, 1817
| Gwyneth of Atrus
|Living||Son of Prince Philip. Became Patriarch of House Novellen following the Orenian branch's dissolvement after the Acre Rebellion.|