Adelburg was the second Capital of the Holy Orenian Empire, replacing Johannesburg. It was built to replace the old capital of Auguston, located in the swamp lands of Mardon. It can be speculated that it was constructed by Peter II, Holy Orenian Emperor, to come closer to the older more prominent ruined capital of Johannesburg. The city was the main settlement of the Sixth Orenian Empire and mostly inhabited by Humans, though many other races have settled there, most prominently Elves. However, near the end of Axios, a man called Canonius launched a coup of the city, killing then emperor John VI and seizing control of the city. For the remainder of the city's existence, it would lay in the hands of the Reformed Kingdom of Renatus
Adelburg was constructed on the orders of Peter II, the second Emperor of the sixth Empire. It was completed in 1622 and saw its grand opening on the 15th of the Deep Cold. It's construction came a few years after the reformation of the Holy Orenian Empire. The completion of the city signified the official rebirth of the Imperial state, attracting many who had once spread across the human lands back to a central hub for the Empire. However, it soon became evident that Adelburg could not live up to the expectations set by Johannesburg. The city did not reach same population, nor did it remain long as a hub for commerce and communication among people. The city hit a new low when Peter II passed down the throne to his son John VI. Following this the city became somewhat of a ghost town, when rarely a citizen could be found out on the streets.
The last time Adelburg would be prevalent within Axios came with the Coup of Adelburg. A man by the name of Canonius led a group of men into the city, that clashed with Orenian and Hanseti forces, which resulted in the deaths of the Orenian loyalists, the death of John VI, Holy Orenian Emperor, and the dissolution of the Holy Orenian Empire. Following this, Adelburg would become the capital of the Reformed Kingdom of Renatus, from which they would launch the Third Crusade against the Kingdom of Norland.
Adelburg sits just north of the docks of Tahn and can even be seen from the ships on a clear day. Its location is prime for economic activities due Adelburg's proximity to the docks in addition to the centralized nature of the city on the large island of Tahn.
Notable Localities within Adelburg include:
- The City Markets, found within a few steps of the gates
- The Imperial Palace, home of the Holy Orenian Emperor and later the King of Renatus. It can be located at the end of Adelburg.
- The Central Plaza
Under the Holy Orenian Empire, there was no municipal government present. The city was ruled directly by the Imperial Administration, the Seneschal making the most decisions within the city.
The Adelburg Constabulary acted as the lawkeeping organization of the capital and the surrounding farmlands. Established along with the founding of the city, the group prided itself on preventing crime in the streets with a nonviolent approach if possible. The Constabulary was closely tied to the Imperial Government with the Lord Constable being selected by the Emperor himself.
Members of the Constabulary received 75 minas every Saint's Week as reparations for their service. Additional income was earned by receiving awards for notable actions in the line of duty. A Constabulary Footman could be recognized by the purple and black color scheme of their uniform and chestplate markings. Officers donned a lackluster but easily recognizable dress uniform with additional pieces to indicate accolades and rank.
- Lord Constable
- Deputy Constable
- Isaac's Recompense
- If a guardsman dies in the line of duty, his family receives 500 minae as a reward. Named for the Lord Constable Isaac I who perished in the slums to a mugger: “May he rest in solitude.”
- Kind Clark Medal
- Those guardsmen who do not use excessive force in the line of duty, so much so that it is noticed by their superiors, are given 100 minae and a red ribbon. Named for the Guardsman Clark and his kind nature: “I’m a lover, not a fighter.”
- Gilded Groin
- When a guardsman overcomes a far more fearsome foe, including large orcs and formidable rogue knights, he is awarded a chest of 500 minae and a gold ribbon:. “He has some balls.”
- Limp Davis Medal
- Named for the fabled Felsen watchman, Limp Davis, who was incapacitated for nearly a decade and also turned into a kharajyr. He who is grievously wounded in duty receives 200 minae: “Like a cat, he does not have nine lives.”